History of the city of Culleoka, Tennessee

Culleoka is a small town in the southeastern corner of Maury County, Tennessee, located southeast of Columbia. The population was 5,078 in 2016. Land area: 53.2 square miles.

Culleoka, Tennessee was established in 1857 in anticipation of the construction of the Nashville and Decatur Railroad, which reached the site in 1859.

Culleoka was the original site of Webb School, which is now located in the historic town of Bell Buckle. The Webb School is a private prep boarding and co-ed day school in Bell Buckle, Tennessee, United States, founded in 1870. It has been called the oldest continuously operating boarding school in the South. Under the leadership of founder Sonia Webb, the school has produced more Rhodes Scholars than any other high school in the United States.

Culleoka Company

Farmers began growing cantaloupes in 1907. The owner/operators of the Culleoka Produce Company, brothers Erastus J. and Hardie Park, pitched the idea to local farmers. Culleoka Produce Co. furnished the seeds and the farmers provided the land and care. Once the melons were ready for harvest, Culleoka Produce Company marketed and shipped the cantaloupes wherever they would fetch the highest price.

After the success of the first crop in 1907, farmers took on more seed and sowed more acreage. By the 1920s, the Culleoka Produce Company was shipping hundreds of carloads of cantaloupes out of the Pleasant Grove Depot annually. Half of the success was having a good, quality product. The other half was the marketing genius of Erastus Park.

Culleoka and nearby Attractions

  • Culleoka Church Of Christ
  • Friendship Baptist Church
  • Hopewell Arp Church, Culleoka, TN
  • Moore Chapel, Culleoka, TN

 

Rate article
Add a comment